Herb teaches elementary school in Strasburg, VA at Sandy Hook Elementary. He is the librarian there. He absolutely LOVES the children and is always looking for new ways to interact with them and engage them with books and learning. For about a year now, we have been using Google Plus to communicate with our boys and their new wives and Herb had the idea that maybe he could combine this technology in his classroom. He had gotten a book in the library about an African-American potter named Dave that lived in the 1800’s during slave times. Dave is known for the poems that he would carve into the pots that he made and many of Dave’s pots are still around today.
So, this is where I come in. Herb wanted to use the technology to let the kids learn about what Dave did by doing the Google Chat with me while I was demonstrating to them how to throw a pot. We did this for seven days straight and each day we learned a different aspect of the process in order to allow the children the best viewpoint for seeing into my basement through my laptop and Herb’s smart board in the library.
In order to do a chat with someone you first need:
- to be in each other’s “circle” in Google. This requires that you have a gmail account and then find the other person and put that person in your circle.
- then there is an entire menu of options on your Google page at the top offering links/tabs to
- Once you set up a Google Plus Profile Page, which is similar to a Facebook Page, then you have the option of starting a hangout
- There will be a hangout link on the right hand side of the page in Yellow
- Clicking that link takes you to a page that allows you to invite others to your hangout. You will notice that a person is online if there is a green dot in the bottom of their thumbnail or if there is a video camera icon by their name in the list of names on the left hand side of your screen.
- If you are planning on publishing your video to Youtube as we did for Dave the Potter, you will need to get code from Youtube site and register with them, otherwise this box can be left unchecked as can naming your hangout.
- At this point, you will be taken to a screen that will activate the call to the other friends and they will come online and join you in the hangout.
Additional information on this topic: