I bought a new product to do glaze resist on my pottery. The water based wax that I have has not really been working out for me so I thought I would try this latex glaze resist. As you can see in the photo it comes in a pint sized jar and is probably a year’s worth of product. I was really skeptical as to how it works on the bisque ware but I am posting to share what I discovered this morning and I am psyched. So far, I am really pleased with how easy it works.
The bisque ware was underglazed with bands of underglaze in color families. A blue, an orange, a green and a gray with the intent to do a resist design on the tumbler and then glaze the outside with a glossy black so that the matte finish design will show through with the colors gradating down the side of the pot. The wax resist is applied onto the bands in the viney plant design and let dry. Some of them I let dry overnight and others I just gave them a few minutes. I couldn’t tell that it really made a difference in the peel off step.
Then the black glaze was applied in three coats with a large brush. This is allowed to dry and then using a needle tool I pierced the glaze and pricked the latex. I give a bit of a tug and the glaze comes off just as the brush had applied the design, having the same feel of fluency that I had hoped it would have. Very cool!
Then you see the overall design with the underglaze showing through on these finished, well almost finished, tumblers. I want to do a white interior and then they will be done.
I will post again after the glaze firing so we can see how this is going to work out.